Header Ban

Liverpool claim revenge by breaking Manchester City's unbeaten run

An incredible achievement. That's how you can define what this victory represents for Liverpool. Jurgen Klopp's side got back to winning ways in the Premier League with a narrow victory over the previously unbeaten Manchester City.

VAR saved the home side from going behind in the opening moments of the second half. When Phil Foden scored, Anthony Taylor disallowed the goal after reviewing a foul by Erling Haaland on Fabinho. Then came Mohamed Salah's goal, with the Egyptian bouncing back from missing a clear one-on-one with Ederson.

On his second chance, Salah made no mistake and scored the first and only goal with a classic left-footed finish. City tried with more heart than skill, but Liverpool's second goal came closer. Darwin Nunez and Trent Alexander-Arnold were both unfortunate in the final moments. Diogo Jota was stretchered off injured, and it looks like he is in danger of missing the World Cup. Klopp also departed early, although he was sent off with a straight red card in the 86th minute for vehemently protesting multiple fouls on Salah.

His rival in the dugout, Pep Guardiola, also took center stage from the sidelines. After Liverpool fans celebrated Foden's goal being disallowed by the VAR, the Catalan coach confronted the Anfield crowd.

Several positive records were broken for the Blues in the match. City had gone five consecutive Premier League games without losing to the Reds. Also the scoring streak of Haaland, who had found the net in seven consecutive league games, was halted. Liverpool, on the other hand, turned around a very negative dynamic in the Premier League, where they had gone three games without a win.

Both coaches were surprising in their line-ups. Klopp opted for James Milner to prevent the defensive lapses of Alexander-Arnold, who was injured. He also kept Harvey Elliott in midfield, but the youngster did not have a good game. Guardiola, for his part, placed Nathan Ake at full-back and Manuel Akanji at center-back, at the expense of Aymeric Laporte.

A match marked by pace

The opening moments of the match were marked by evenness, reminiscent of last season's Premier League clashes, but without the goals... Liverpool even doubled Guardiola's side's possession around the half-hour mark, just as City's chances began to arrive. Haaland was more merciful than he usually is, missing two headers that Alisson saved without any problems.

The home side also generated danger, especially from Robertson's flank. The Scotsman took advantage of Joao Cancelo's problems in the defensive area, but failed in his final touch. On the other side, Klopp's side missed Alexander-Arnold in attack.

VAR 'saved' Liverpool

After the half-time break, City pressed even more. Within five minutes the frenetic pace of the game almost broke the deadlock. First Salah, in his most favorable position - from the left - was selfish and opted to shoot instead of placing the killer pass for Jota. Ederson 'punished' the Egyptian's choice with a spectacular save with his right hand.

In the immediate aftermath came what could have been the first goal for the Citizens. Foden picked up a rebound from Alisson in the box and put his team ahead. VAR called Taylor, who disallowed the goal for a previous foul by Haaland on Fabinho.

The chances came and went, with City dominating. Alisson got a good hand to a Haaland shot The Norwegian had scored 15 goals in just 21 shots on target in the Premier League before Sunday, however at Anfield he added four shots on goal without success. The Manchester side lacked energy in the final minutes, partly due to Guardiola's decision to make his first and only substitution in the 89th minute.

Darwin Nunez could have scored a goal, but he was selfish instead of assisting Salah, and Alexander-Arnold could have vindicated himself with a shot at the far post that went wide. Jota's injury extended the game until the 101st minute, but it was not enough for City.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.