Header Ban

Alvarez brace lifts Manchester City past Red Star

Julian Alvarez's second-half brace helped Manchester City claim a 3-1 victory over Red Star in Champions League action on Tuesday.

Pep Guardiola's men somehow found themselves down 1-0 at half-time despite dominating nearly all the major categories, including shots, which favoured them 22-1.

Nevertheless, the Premier League giants got back on track in the second half, with Alvarez's two goals and a third from Rodri proving enough for the reigning champions.

As expected City dominated possession early on, while Red Star Belgrade chased around with little success.

The first real chance came in the 15th minute, Rodrigo's blast from the edge of the box brilliantly saved by Omri Glazer with one hand.

Alvarez then used his pace to get away from his defender, with Glazer once again denying the home side.

City came even closer in the 25th minute, Haaland rising above his marker and sending his header on goal, only for the effort to come back off the crossbar.

Although Red Star did what they could to hang on, the one-way traffic continued, with Phil Foden getting on the end of Sergio Gomez's cross from close range, only for Glazer to once again deny City.

Nevertheless, it was the away side who took the shock lead just before half-time. Osman Bukari glided through the Manchester City defence before firing past Ederson, with the goal initially called off.

However after a VAR check the strike was given, Red Star scoring on what was their only shot of the half compared to City's 22 efforts.

City wasted no time in levelling proceedings once play resumed, Alvarez rounding Glazer and slotting home before the angle got too tight.

Kyle Walker saw a goal called off for offside, but it didn't take long for City to complete the comeback.

After a solid display in the first half, Glazer made a mess of Alvarez's free kick, swinging at the ball and punching it into his own net.

Guardiola's put the game beyond reach in the 73rd minute, Rodri calmly strolling into the penalty area before calmly firing into the far corner to make it 3-1.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.